Relationship::Base join-free exception question

Relationship::Base join-free exception question

Marco Palma
Hey all, I'm hoping someone can clarify for me an exception that get's thrown in Relationship::Base. I'm have multipurpose comments table that could be used for commenting on different kinds of objects in a schema.  Rather than having individual join-tables to cement the relationships, I want to using a compound foreign key of object_type + object_id.

Assume that I have:

  TABLE post (
    'id' int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
    'text' varchar(3000),
    'created_at' datetime NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY ('id')
  )

  TABLE comment (
    'id' int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
    'object_type' varchar(32) NOT NULL,
    'object_id' int(11) NOT NULL,
    'text' varchar(3000),
    'created_at' datetime NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY ('id'),
    KEY 'object' ('object_type', 'object_id')
  )

I have the Result class relationships built as follows using DBIx::Class::Relationship::Base's new-ish support for coderefs:

  __PACKAGE__->has_many(
    comments => '::Comment',
    sub {
      my $args = shift;
      return {
        "$args->{foreign_alias}.object_id"   => { -ident => "$args->{self_alias}.id" },
        "$args->{foreign_alias}.object_type" => 'post',
      };
    }
  );

But this throws the following exception:

  # DBIx::Class::Relationship::Base::new_related(): Custom relationship 'comments' does not resolve to a join-free condition fragment at ...

Which comes from the new_related method:

    $self->throw_exception("Custom relationship '$rel' does not resolve to a join-free condition fragment")
      if $crosstable;

If I comment that check out, I can use the above has_many without issue. So I'm curious:

  - What is that exception meant to overcome?
  - Why must my relationship resolve to a "join-free" condition?