Moving Forward

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Moving Forward

Chase Whitener
Hi Everyone,

It seems this is a good time to make a formal request to get the ball
rolling, so to speak. This issue has been formally going on since
September and we're now more than half-way through November.

Beware, I am about to start paraphrasing, so please don't shoot me if
I'm less than 100% accurate.

At this point we have Peter, who has been adamant about his position,
yet hasn't really clarified his position or proposal for moving
forward other than to say he will keep on as he has been (albeit in a
slightly less time-consuming manner than before) if and only if he can
do so sans Matt. Peter would accept or deny patches at his sole
discretion, much in the manner that he has been up to the point where
this argument began. This would seemingly only serve to solidify his
position that Matt should have no say in anything DBIC-related.

Matt, on the other hand, has put together a plan for moving forward
that would create a core team and a voting system that would allow the
community to have a say in what goes into or stays out of DBIC. It's a
system that should allow for peaceful passing of the torch, so to
speak, if current first-come/co-maints decide they can no longer
participate for whatever reason. It's a flexible system that could see
more hands on deck for DBIC. This plan would be sans Peter, not by
design, but by his own declared wishes.

You might ask why I'm writing this... I'm doing so because it's been
going on too long and just plain makes the community look bad. We have
one solid plan and one unknown plan that keeps getting pushed back
with a promise to fill us in later.

So, can we please either:

A: Set a firm cut-off date for Peter to publish his full plan?
B: Move forward with a vote for either Matt or Peter's plan as-is?

Thanks,
Chase

_______________________________________________
List: http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dbix-class
IRC: irc.perl.org#dbix-class
SVN: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/DBIx-Class/
Searchable Archive: http://www.grokbase.com/group/dbix-class@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Moving Forward

Darren Duncan
With all due respect, while many people don't want things dragged out unduly, I
also don't see a big need to rush things here.  The version of DBIC on CPAN now
is stable and functional, is it not?  If it takes several more weeks plus for
this management stuff to work out, I think that's ok. -- Darren Duncan

On 2016-11-18 8:53 PM, Chase Whitener wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> It seems this is a good time to make a formal request to get the ball
> rolling, so to speak. This issue has been formally going on since
> September and we're now more than half-way through November.
>
> Beware, I am about to start paraphrasing, so please don't shoot me if
> I'm less than 100% accurate.
>
> At this point we have Peter, who has been adamant about his position,
> yet hasn't really clarified his position or proposal for moving
> forward other than to say he will keep on as he has been (albeit in a
> slightly less time-consuming manner than before) if and only if he can
> do so sans Matt. Peter would accept or deny patches at his sole
> discretion, much in the manner that he has been up to the point where
> this argument began. This would seemingly only serve to solidify his
> position that Matt should have no say in anything DBIC-related.
>
> Matt, on the other hand, has put together a plan for moving forward
> that would create a core team and a voting system that would allow the
> community to have a say in what goes into or stays out of DBIC. It's a
> system that should allow for peaceful passing of the torch, so to
> speak, if current first-come/co-maints decide they can no longer
> participate for whatever reason. It's a flexible system that could see
> more hands on deck for DBIC. This plan would be sans Peter, not by
> design, but by his own declared wishes.
>
> You might ask why I'm writing this... I'm doing so because it's been
> going on too long and just plain makes the community look bad. We have
> one solid plan and one unknown plan that keeps getting pushed back
> with a promise to fill us in later.
>
> So, can we please either:
>
> A: Set a firm cut-off date for Peter to publish his full plan?
> B: Move forward with a vote for either Matt or Peter's plan as-is?
>
> Thanks,
> Chase


_______________________________________________
List: http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dbix-class
IRC: irc.perl.org#dbix-class
SVN: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/DBIx-Class/
Searchable Archive: http://www.grokbase.com/group/dbix-class@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Moving Forward

Chase Whitener
Hi Darren,

You certainly have a point about the state of the current release;
I'll absolutely concede your point that there's no current rush to
replace the current CPAN release. This current state of stability
could suddenly change and the uncertainty in the maintenance of the
distribution is a vey bad thing in and of itself.

It takes a lot of evangelizing on my part at work and other places to
get people on board with Perl; let's not allow this to go on for too
long to etch away at the good will I and others try to impart on a
daily basis.

Thanks,
Chase




On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 3:18 AM, Darren Duncan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> With all due respect, while many people don't want things dragged out
> unduly, I also don't see a big need to rush things here.  The version of
> DBIC on CPAN now is stable and functional, is it not?  If it takes several
> more weeks plus for this management stuff to work out, I think that's ok. --
> Darren Duncan
>
>
> On 2016-11-18 8:53 PM, Chase Whitener wrote:
>>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> It seems this is a good time to make a formal request to get the ball
>> rolling, so to speak. This issue has been formally going on since
>> September and we're now more than half-way through November.
>>
>> Beware, I am about to start paraphrasing, so please don't shoot me if
>> I'm less than 100% accurate.
>>
>> At this point we have Peter, who has been adamant about his position,
>> yet hasn't really clarified his position or proposal for moving
>> forward other than to say he will keep on as he has been (albeit in a
>> slightly less time-consuming manner than before) if and only if he can
>> do so sans Matt. Peter would accept or deny patches at his sole
>> discretion, much in the manner that he has been up to the point where
>> this argument began. This would seemingly only serve to solidify his
>> position that Matt should have no say in anything DBIC-related.
>>
>> Matt, on the other hand, has put together a plan for moving forward
>> that would create a core team and a voting system that would allow the
>> community to have a say in what goes into or stays out of DBIC. It's a
>> system that should allow for peaceful passing of the torch, so to
>> speak, if current first-come/co-maints decide they can no longer
>> participate for whatever reason. It's a flexible system that could see
>> more hands on deck for DBIC. This plan would be sans Peter, not by
>> design, but by his own declared wishes.
>>
>> You might ask why I'm writing this... I'm doing so because it's been
>> going on too long and just plain makes the community look bad. We have
>> one solid plan and one unknown plan that keeps getting pushed back
>> with a promise to fill us in later.
>>
>> So, can we please either:
>>
>> A: Set a firm cut-off date for Peter to publish his full plan?
>> B: Move forward with a vote for either Matt or Peter's plan as-is?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chase
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> List: http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dbix-class
> IRC: irc.perl.org#dbix-class
> SVN: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/DBIx-Class/
> Searchable Archive:
> http://www.grokbase.com/group/dbix-class@...

_______________________________________________
List: http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dbix-class
IRC: irc.perl.org#dbix-class
SVN: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/DBIx-Class/
Searchable Archive: http://www.grokbase.com/group/dbix-class@...
Loading...