An answer and a question

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

An answer and a question

Matt S Trout-2
So, I've been asked off-list if, given he's willing to work part time on the
project, I'd offer riba a voting member position.

First, I really don't find it likely he'd accept.

Second, the amount of vitriol directed at me and others in this thread makes
it hard for me to see it being an effective working relationship.

Third ... the last time I substantially argued with riba, back in May, he
emailed Mark Keating (Shadowcat Managing Director) to say that if I didn't
back down, he'd respond by damaging Shadowcat's reputation.

Given he was at that point already theoretically planning to leave entirely
within a few months, I figured it best to let the matter drop and simply
wait things out and let riba leave on a public high note. It almost worked
... but only almost.

So, the answer is "it's a waste of great technical talent, but sorry, no."
Obviously I can't actually stop a proposal being put forward to that effect,
but I hope it's understandable that I'd campaign vigorously against it.

The question: Do you really think it's wise to have part of your core
infrastructure under the control of somebody who thinks "email your managing
director to threaten your employer" is an acceptable way to make somebody back
down from an argument?

--
Matt S Trout - Shadowcat Systems - Perl consulting with a commit bit and a clue

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/

Email me now on mst (at) shadowcat.co.uk and let's chat about how our CPAN
commercial support, training and consultancy packages could help your team.

_______________________________________________
List: http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dbix-class
IRC: irc.perl.org#dbix-class
SVN: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/DBIx-Class/
Searchable Archive: http://www.grokbase.com/group/dbix-class@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: An answer and a question

Darren Duncan
On 2016-11-13 1:03 PM, Matt S Trout wrote:

> So, I've been asked off-list if, given he's willing to work part time on the
> project, I'd offer riba a voting member position.
>
> First, I really don't find it likely he'd accept.
>
> Second, the amount of vitriol directed at me and others in this thread makes
> it hard for me to see it being an effective working relationship.
>
> Third ... the last time I substantially argued with riba, back in May, he
> emailed Mark Keating (Shadowcat Managing Director) to say that if I didn't
> back down, he'd respond by damaging Shadowcat's reputation.
>
> Given he was at that point already theoretically planning to leave entirely
> within a few months, I figured it best to let the matter drop and simply
> wait things out and let riba leave on a public high note. It almost worked
> ... but only almost.
>
> So, the answer is "it's a waste of great technical talent, but sorry, no."
> Obviously I can't actually stop a proposal being put forward to that effect,
> but I hope it's understandable that I'd campaign vigorously against it.
>
> The question: Do you really think it's wise to have part of your core
> infrastructure under the control of somebody who thinks "email your managing
> director to threaten your employer" is an acceptable way to make somebody back
> down from an argument?

I would be interested to see Peter address this, in particular, to either affirm
or deny etc that he emailed Mark in May, and what he thinks he said. -- Darren
Duncan


_______________________________________________
List: http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dbix-class
IRC: irc.perl.org#dbix-class
SVN: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/DBIx-Class/
Searchable Archive: http://www.grokbase.com/group/dbix-class@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: An answer and a question

Peter Rabbitson-2
On 11/14/2016 06:11 AM, Darren Duncan wrote:
>
> I would be interested to see Peter address this, in particular, to
> either affirm or deny etc that he emailed Mark in May, and what he
> thinks he said.

I will most definitely do so, for the above and other claims wrt my
character made earlier.

Either by Wed/Thu this week, or worst case scenario by thanksgiving.

I just returned home from a long business trip, hence the numerous delays.

Stay tuned.

_______________________________________________
List: http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dbix-class
IRC: irc.perl.org#dbix-class
SVN: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/DBIx-Class/
Searchable Archive: http://www.grokbase.com/group/dbix-class@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: An answer and a question

Karen Etheridge
Happy [American] Thanksgiving!

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 3:24 AM, Peter Rabbitson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/14/2016 06:11 AM, Darren Duncan wrote:

I would be interested to see Peter address this, in particular, to
either affirm or deny etc that he emailed Mark in May, and what he
thinks he said.

I will most definitely do so, for the above and other claims wrt my character made earlier.

Either by Wed/Thu this week, or worst case scenario by thanksgiving.

I just returned home from a long business trip, hence the numerous delays.

Stay tuned.


_______________________________________________
List: http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dbix-class
IRC: irc.perl.org#dbix-class
SVN: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/DBIx-Class/
Searchable Archive: http://www.grokbase.com/group/dbix-class@...
Loading...